Keeping in touch with you and building community
What is ClassDojo?
Crowland use ClassDojo to create a secure communication platform that teachers, students and families can use every day to build close-knit communities by sharing what’s being learned in the classroom and home through photos, videos, and messages. It has a reward component and a communication system.
We use ClassDojo from Nursery all the way through to Year 6. It is secure and personal to our school and provides information in an easy to use format similar to Twitter and Facebook.
ClassDojo Portfolios are digital student portfolios that allow students to share classwork with their teachers and family! Students can add to their portfolio using Chromebooks, laptops, and iOS/Android devices. Teachers can view and approve student work on Portfolios using any device! Students can create and upload photos, videos, drawings, and journal entries through ClassDojo, and can also upload Microsoft Office files, PDFs, and image files from any laptop. Teachers can also assign projects directly to student devices to which students can respond. Parents and teachers can leave positive feedback in the form of a like and/or comments.
Stories are instantly updating streams of messages, pictures and videos similar to a Twitter-style timeline. Every class and school has their own Story, all of which are shared home with parents. School Story helps teachers to share with all families connected to their school while Class Story helps teachers to share with all families connected to their class.
Messages allow teachers and parents to instantly message each other, without needing to share phone numbers or contact details. Messages can be translated into 35 different languages, and "Quiet Hours" lets teachers set away times so parents know when they are not available. Messages sent out of hours will not be seen by the teacher until the next working day.
Teachers use Class Dojo to promote positive behaviours in their classroom. ClassDojo is used alongside our Going for Gold reward system. Each child gets a monster avatar, and teachers can award Dojos for things such as staying on task, meeting a times table target, fantastic teamwork or brilliant homework.
Each student's monsters can only be customised from within a student account. Customization of a student's monster is not available from a parent account. So, if your child has not already done so, you'll need to first create a student account.
What does this mean for you as a parent?
Connecting with your child's teacher on ClassDojo will allow you to do the following:
- Review the last two weeks of points your child received
- Safely message with your child's teacher
- View, like, and comment on the pictures and/or videos that your child's teacher posts to Class Story
- View, like, and comment on the pictures, videos, text entries, and/or drawings that your child or child's teacher post to your child’s Portfolio
- View whole-school news posted to School Story
You will receive a unique email that will allow you to connect to your child’s class and teacher. Once you have created a parent account, teachers will be able to send you a unique code or link for your child’s account that will give them access to a student account, their portfolio and Class Story.
Please note: email invites may only be used to create a parent account on the web. Once the account is created, you can access it on both the website and the app.
Important things to remember
- Class Dojo is only available to parents and children registered at the school.
- Parents are reminded that they should not take images from Class Dojo and post them elsewhere online.
- The messaging system between parents and teachers does not replace communication through the front office. It can be used to keep in contact with your child's teacher about learning and any ClassDojo related topics. If you have any serious concerns please contact the school via the front office - 020 8800 4553 or email@example.com
- Parents can message teachers, however a response will only be given during school hours, Monday-Friday, as the rest of the time teachers are set on ‘quiet hours’.
ClassDojo Parent Letter